News + Happenings
January 11, 2018
We just opened our first brick + mortar gift shop in SE Portland, OR on Division Street in the Jimmy's Tire & Annexx Building. We are right next to the famous Pine State Biscuits. YUM!!! Come by and say hi! Check out our artisan made goods from all over the globe. Featuring local artists and those all over the world as far reaching as Morocco and Israel. We offer greeting cards, jewelry, home decor, apothecary items and more!
Dream Cloud Bohemian Market
1100 SE Divison Street
Portland, OR. 97202
See you there!
January 11, 2018
One way to bring bohemian flare into your outfit and convey a refined boho vibe is with jewelry. Every girls favorite word am I right? I am sure you ladies can relate.
Now, I am not your typical jewelry girl that has a million pieces lying around. I like to splurge on just a few special pieces that are minimal with an organic vibe. You know, the kind that can bring a plain ole' tank top from bland to killer.
So let's talk jewels ladies.....
One of my new favorite designers is Lio + Linn (www.lioandlinn.com). I came across their website recently and fell absolutely in love. It is so hard to find jewelers that put out an amazing collection from start to finsih but these guys do it with ease. This Brooklyn design team uses lots of 14 k gold, diamonds and precious stones. If you are looking for boho jewelry, the kind that you put on and never take off, I highly recommend you score yourself one of these fine creations. Check out their amazing website full of stunning jewels and home decor. I am sharing a few of my absolute faves are below.....
Another long time favorite designer of mine is Lulu Designs Jewelry (www.luludesignsjewelry.com). Designer Stacey King, is based in California and has been designing jewelry since the 1990's. I had the pleasure to meet this brilliant designer many times over the years through trunk shows I hosted when working for another company. She is as sweet as her designs are gorgeous. She too is another designer that brings timeless bohemian jewelry to your everyday wardrobe. Put her pieces on and forget about them, let them become a part of you. That is what makes her pieces so fantastic and almost spiritual. Check out her fabulous mixed metals and luxe designs.
All images belong to Lulu Designs and Lio and Linn.
January 11, 2018
Ever wonder where to start when designing or re-designing your space? The biggest challenge that most of us face is we want big impact with a small budget. So where does this leave you when making those critical choices and design decisions? Well I believe the answer lies in a not so obvious place....one of my favorite movies, The Big Lebowski.
Do you remember the scene where he states that the Dude wants his rug back because it "really tied the room together"? If Jeff Bridges character the Dude realizes what an impact a rug can have in his space (and spends the next week of his life chasing down kidnappers all in the name of his rug) maybe we can learn a thing or two from his passion. All crazy antics aside, and in all seriousness a rug does make a huge impact on a space. It can pull colors, shapes and themes into a room like no other design element. It can take an out of place color and give it a perfect home. One of my favorite reasons to invest in a great rug is it can also give your home warmth and a unique curated artsy vibe when done properly.
So where to start? There are millions of rugs that can do the job. Your first mission is to decide on which one is right for you for the biggest impact. Below I have laid out a few tips to keep you headed in the right direction and focused.
1. Ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish. Do you want to add color to your space, tie room elements together or just go for a wow factor? This is your first step. Decide what you want from your rug and that will give you your direction.
2. Your rooms personailty. One of the worst things you can do for your space is give it an identity crisis. If you are not a design expert and you try to mix too many styles together you will just get a mashed-up mess. So stick to a theme for your room. If you like bohemian decor stick with that, if you are more modern go for a modern geometric design. You get it.
3. Keep YOUR lifestyle in mind. Do you have kids, pets, high traffic in your space? If your answer was yes then you must go for patterns and colors that will hide any stains, dirt and wear that will most likely happen to your rug over time. Best way to do this is to pick a design with at least some darker elements and mix of colors or tones of color. Trust me that this is uber important! If you don't you may end up with a stained mess and what message does that send...not a good one!
4. Be a curator of design. Don't just go to your local home store that mass produces rugs and pick out your favorite. I mean you can do this, but your space will reflect your actions. It will look generic and mass produced. You can get lucky but this a general guideline to keeping your space unique. Do research. Follow designers, artist and stores online. (start with Pinterest or Instagram...you will find some amazing inspirations at the very least) Really hunt for that perfect piece as you would when picking out a unique piece of art, because that is what your rug should be. A large gorgeous piece of art.
5. Think past current trends. One easy mistake that will make your home look generic (and soon dated) is to take the biggest trend of the moment and jump on the band wagon. Trends tend to mean that everyone is doing it and it will soon be over. I mean, think orange shag carpets....yuk! Think about it this way, have you ever heard that fashion comes and goes but style is forever? Keep this mind as you design your room. So in short, skip the trend but analyze what you identify with about a trend and use that idea to pick out a piece that you will love for years to come despite what the trend setters of the moment are labeling as "in or out".
Now that you are armed with some guidelines, below are some of my favorite rugs I have scouted recently. I hope they will inspire your design and get your designing juices flowing. Stick to your 5 designing rules and you will have a Big Lebowski moment in your space in no time.